About the author of this web site
Stefan Deconinck holds a Ma. of Early-modern History and a Ma. of International Relations (Ghent University, Belgium).
Currently he is a research fellow at the Center for Security and Defence Studies in Brussels, Belgium. Previously he worked at Ghent University and the KUB University of Brussels.
He is authoring a PhD. on 'water, ideology and security perceptions in Israel'.
email: stefan.deconinck (at) gmail.com
Research topics and areas of interest
- Economical, political and social issues related to water in the Middle East, especially in the Jordan River basin
- Israeli politics
- Palestinian ngo's and civil society
- Asian-European economic relations in the 17th and 18th century
Field research in Israel and Palestine (1995, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2005), India (2004).
- Deconinck S., 'Water, ideology and international security in the Middle East', in: Madarat Gharbiya, Fall 2006.
- Deconinck S., 'Water policies and security in Israel', in: Swiss Military Review, March 2004.
- Deconinck S., 'Water als conflictpotentieel in het Midden-Oosten', in: VN-Forum, 3, 2003, pp. 14-20.
- Deconinck S., 'Israeli water policy in a regional context of conflict: prospects for sustainable development for Israelis and Palestinians?', in: Castelein S. (ed.), From Conflict to Co-operation in International Water Resources Management: Challenges and Opportunities, UNESCO, 2003.
- Deconinck S., Öl ins Feuer - Wasser im israelisch-palästinensischen Konflikt, Deutsche Arbeitsgemeinschaft für Internationale Politik (Mai 2001)
- Van Assche J., Deconinck S., Sustainable development at local government level, in: Prinsloo R., Democracy in training. Issues relevant to South Africa as a new democracy, Leuven Acco, 1998, pp. 115-149.
- Deconinck S., Water en het Israëlisch-Palestijnse vredesproces, in: Internationale Spectator, 51, 1, 1997, pp. 17-22 (journal of the Dutch Institute for International Affairs 'Clingendael').
- Various materials on this web site 'Waternet', about water and conflict in the Middle East (http://www.waternet.be/).
- B@tavia, the virtual factorij of the Dutch East India Company (VOC). A web site about the early history of the Dutch East India Company, based on the graduation thesis Ik ga om een goede buit te halen. Zuidnederlanders in dienst van de Verenigde Oostindische Compagnie (1602-1660) (research on people from the Southern Lower Countries working for the VOC).
Selected presentations and lectures
- "Environment and security", training course for water professionals from Third World countries. Bruges, July 2005.
- "Water policies for peace in the Middle East", keynote address for the seminar on 'Recent developments and new political perspectives in the broader Middle East region' organised by the NATO-PA, Jordan, May 2005.
- "Ecological conflicts", lecture in the series 'Security issues for the future' for the Belgian Royal Higher Institute for Defense, Brussels, May 2005.
- "Water policies in Israel and the Palestinian Territories: between security and sustainable development", Jeruzalem, Consulat-General of Belgium, 12 February 2004.
- "Indicators for combating desertification", presentation for the international seminar on 'Desertification, draught and poverty aleviation' organised by the Belgian federal development cooperation, Brussels, 15 June 2004.
- "Israeli water policy and regional sustainable development in a conflict situation", presentation on conference 'From conflict to cooperation in international water resources management: challenges and opportunities' by UNESCO, Delft, 19-22 November 2002.
- Various lectures for educational institutions in Belgium, concerning water conflict in the Middle East, the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
- Various lectures for socio-cultural organisations in Belgium, concerning water conflict in the Middle East, the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. "The Israeli-Palestinian peace process", Sociale Werkgroep Geschiedenis, Ghent, 1996.
- Long-distance education programme with Palestinian universities on stability and peace, regional co-operation and sustainable development (Ghent University, 1997).
- Indicators for sustainable development on local level (Center for Sustainable Development, 1997-2003)
- Training programme on sustainable development, conducted at the University of the North, Qwa Qwa Campus, South Africa (Center for Sustainable Development, 1997 and 1998).
- Policy recommendations for the Flemish development co-operation, by order of the Flemish government (Ghent University, 1998-1999).
- Policy recommendations for the Belgian federal minister of transport: 'In-car telematics for road safety' (Center for Sustainable Development, 1999-2001)
- Policy recommendations for the Belgian development co-operation: 'Water policies in Palestie' (Ghent University, 2002-2004).
- A dictionary on sustainable development in Belgium (Center for Sustainable Development, 2001-2004)
- Information systems for sustainable development (Center for Sustainable Development, 2001-2004)
- EURINDIA: textile trade and cartography (Ghent University, 2004-2005)
- Member of the board of the ngo PROTOS
- Courses at the KUB University of Brussels: 'Political Science', 'History of International Relations' (2005-2007).
- In the press: various interviews in national Belgian and international media on water, the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.