Jordan River Basin
Selected links to literature on water and politics in the Jordan River basin
- Bibliography on Water Resources
and International Law. This bibliography was compiled by R. Steenhard for the Hague Academy
of International Law - Center for Studies and Research in International Law
and International Relations. The bibliography contains sections on water in the Middle East and Jordan River basin.
It is an excellent tool for research, especially when working in close vicinity of the Peace Palace library, to which the inventory numbers in the bibliography are referring.
- Allocations of water and responsibilities in an Israeli-Palestinian water accord, a project by a Woodrow Wilson School taskforce studying water rights in the Jordan Valley at Princeton University (1999).
- The site of the Applied Research Institute - Jerusalem, a Palestinian research group, with various articles on water quality and quantity in Israel and the Occupied Territories, published by its Water Research Unit.
- B'tselem (The Israeli Information Center for Human Rights in the Occupied
Territories): The water crisis.
Full text reports: 'Not even a drop: water crisis in Palestinian villages' (2001), 'Thirsty for a solution: the water shortage in the Occupied Territories and its solution in the Final Status Agreement' (2000), 'Disputed waters: Israel's responsibility for the water shortage in the Occupied Territories' (1998).
- S. Deconinck (2006), 'Drôle de guerre? The Wazzani-incident in the summer of 2002'.
- S. Deconinck (2002), 'Israeli water policy in a regional context of conflict: prospects for sustainable development for Israelis and Palestinians?'.
- S. Deconinck (2001), L'eau dans le conflit israélo-palestinien, dans: Paix et développement - pourqoui? comment?: signes des temps. Bruxelles, Pax Christi Wallonnie-Bruxelles.
- S. Deconinck, Öl ins Feuer - Wasser im israelisch-palästinensischen Konflikt. Deutsche Gesellschaft für Auswärtige Politik, Mai 2001.
- Comment by Stefan Deconinck: water shortages in Israel: the drought of a conflict (June 2000).
- S. Deconinck, Comment on the outcome of the IPCRI Working Group Forum of Palestinian and Israeli Parliamentarians in Ramallah on 27 August 1998.
- A. Dinar, The Israeli-Palestinian water conflict and its resolution: a view through international relations theory, conference proceeding on Columbia Interantional Affairs Online, June 1999 (link added: 5/6/2003)
- European Commission, International R&D Cooperation with Developing Countries: Developing Sustainable Water Management in the Jordan Valley. Project information on the site of the Austrian Research Centre Seibersdorf.
- Friends of the Earth Middle East (FoEME), Good water neighbours project. Overview of the project, links to press releases and bulletins.
- H. Frisch, Water and Israel's national security, s.d. (link added: 5/6/2003).
- Green Cross International, Water for Peace and the Right to Water - Project: a draft report on Jordan Basin (2003).
- Foundation for Middle East Peace, Special Report: the socio-economic impact of settlements on land, water, and the Palestinian economy (July 1998).
- Jewish Virtual Library - Water. A series of documents concering the Israeli water situation.
- S. Kantor, The master of water policy and development in Israel.
- S. Kantor, The National Water Carrier.
- Stephan Libiszewski (1995), , Zürich, Center for Security Policy and Conflict Research; Bern, Swiss Peace Foundation. August 1995. (ENCOP Occasional Paper No. 13).
- Watershed: the role of fresh water in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict by Stephen C. Lonergan and David B. Brooks (2000). This online book describes the water crisis faced by Israel and the Occupied Palestinian Territories today - a crisis that will have much to do with the design and the success of the current peace proposals.
- Palestinian Bureau of Statistics publishes agricultural statistics with information about irrigation.
- PLO Negotiations Affairs Department: Water resources and the peace process.
- United Nations - Committee on the Exercise of the Inalienable Rights of the Palestinian People (1992), Water resources in the Occupied Palestinian Territory.
- USAID West Bank-Gaza: water resources
- Water on the Golan. This site of the Golan Residence Committee is a good example of the use of water in favour of political goals, in this case the occupation of the Golan Heights by Israel.
- D. Zaslavsky, Definition of Israel's water problems - water as a methaphor. Lecture on June 14, 2000.