World Water Day in 2021 is about "what water means to people, its true value and how we can better protect this vital resource".
From the World Water Day 2021 toolkit:
"How we value water determines how water is managed and shared. The value of water is about much more than its price – water has enormous and complex value for our households, culture, health, education, economics and the integrity of our natural environment."
World Water Day 2021 therefore looks at "valuing water" from 5 different perspectives:
- Valuing natural water resources and ecosystems
- Valuing water infrastructure: storage, treatment and supply
- Valuing water services: drinking water, sanitation and health services (WASH)
- Valuing water as an input to production and socio-economic activity: agriculture, energy, business
- Valuing water in culture, recreation an spirituality
Keep an eye on the UN Water - World Water Day website towards March 22 for updates on the theme of valuing water, upcoming activities and the launch on March 22 of the new World Water Development Report 2021 on "Data for development".